Are you considering orthodontic treatment to correct your teeth and smile? If so, you want to ensure that your treatment is in the best hands possible and that you make the best choice in treatment provider to achieve your perfect smile, whilst having a great experience throughout the process.
In order to do that, it’s important to ask questions to your orthodontic provider. Asking important questions can help you identify whether your orthodontist and you, are on the same page about your goal outcomes.
Regardless of whether you have been speaking with an orthodontist, a dentist or an online aligner provider, make sure you ask the following questions before agreeing to start treatment.
1. What is your experience in orthodontics? In order to become a specialist orthodontist, one must dedicate over a decade of their life in education and training. First became a general dentist, and then spent several more years specialising in orthodontics. This specialisation allows an orthodontist to safely move the teeth using traditional methods such as braces or clear aligners. If the provider you have been consulting with informs you that they are not an orthodontist, or that your treatment is not monitored by an orthodontist, you may want to consider a second opinion.
2. How long will treatment take? Treatment time will vary greatly between patients. You may have family or friends who have had treatment in as little as 6 months, whereas others may take up to 2 years. Asking for clarification from your orthodontist will give you a much more clear understanding of your treatment time.
3. How often do I need to visit? Checkups with your orthodontist for adjustments are a crucial part of orthodontic treatment. These routine check-ups allow your orthodontist to ensure that your treatment is moving along as planned, and to make any adjustments necessary. Depending on the tooth movement required, your braces check-up could be anywhere between 4 and 8 weeks apart and your clear aligners check-up could be anywhere between 4 and 12 weeks apartment.
4. Do I have a choice in treatment type? In most cases, your orthodontist will give you the choice of what type of treatment you would like. Whether that be braces, clear aligners or something else. Asking this question is important, as if the orthodontist strongly encourages one treatment type, there may be an important reason behind it.
5. How much will treatment cost, and are there payment plans? Orthodontic treatment can be one of the most significant investments you make in your appearance and health. It’s critical that this treatment is accessible to everyone who needs it. For this reason, it’s essential to ask your orthodontist for an estimate of the costs of your treatment and what payment options they accept, so that you can comfortably pay for your treatment in a manner that suits you. You can find our estimated orthodontic pricing here.
Starting Orthodontic Treatment In Adelaide
Are you an Adelaide local, looking for a trustworthy, skilled orthodontist for your braces or clear aligner treatment? If so, contact Dr Balya Sriram at Gentle Touch Orthodontics for an initial consultation.
Dr Balya can help guide you through any orthodontic questions you may have relating to treatment time, costs and more. You can contact Gentle Touch Orthodontics by requesting a consultation online or calling us on (08) 8243 2500.